Friday, November 14, 2008

Executive Director - Brookline Music School

Since no one else seems to be using this anymore, I thought I'd use it to assist in my weird little job-hunting addiction. Note: I'm not actually looking for a new job - I'm very happy with my current one. I do, however, like to look at job postings and if it's a job I find intriguing, wonder what kind of experience would make someone qualified for it.

One that caught my eye the other day was for the Executive Director of the Brookline Music School. This is a community music school in a suburb of Boston. The budget's ~$1.8 million, 7 administrative employees, and a ton of teaching/artistic staff.

So...what kind of person would be qualified for this job? The posting itself lists "five years experience as a nonprofit manager" which implies that they're open to younger candidates. That's nice to see - there's so many postings I've seen over the years for smaller organizations than this asking for "over ten years experience in a senior management role." If people in the nonprofit arts are so concerned about developing leadership skills in the next generation, why aren't there more small and medium sized organizations open to having younger people lead them?

No comments: